Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Glenella State School, originally known as Mackay North State School, was opened by its first Principal, Daniel Shea on the 3rd February 1879.  Daniel Shea was the only teacher with only 35 students attending.  At the request of the School Committee, the name of the school was changed to Glenella in 1912 to coincide with the name of the local Post Office, which was operated by Ms Kinnon.  It was also referred to as Hill End State School (but no official record of this can be found).  Our school has had 27 Principals to date (2012).  William Kippen was the longest serving in the history of the school, serving 37 years before his retirement in 1949.  The school house was totally destroyed in the 1918 cyclone and lessons were held in the school hall until the new school was completed in 1920. Around this time the school hall was always a hive of activity, often used for dances, church services and Sunday school.